When You Should (and Shouldn’t) Use Cruise Control
Cruise control can be a helpful tool, particularly for long road trips and interstate travel. That being said, familiarizing yourself with cruise control do’s and don’ts is an essential part of driving you shouldn’t overlook.
When you SHOULD use cruise control
- Feel free to use cruise control on long road trips, when fatigue is more likely to set in. You don’t want to totally relax when you’re driving for long periods of time, but it’s okay to give your muscles a break now and then. When used strategically, cruise control is a great feature that can alleviate the strain of long driving stints.
- Use cruise control when there is little to no traffic. Cruise control lets you enjoy those clear roads and helps you maintain a consistent speed.
- Speaking of speed, use cruise control only when the speed limit stays the same for long periods of time. Just be sure to turn it off and slow down when the speed changes, so you don’t get a ticket.
When you SHOULDN’T use cruise control
- Don’t use cruise control when it’s raining, snowing, or when there are wet/icy roads in general. While some newer vehicles have features that help your car handle wet roads and rain even while cruise control is on, it’s best to be in total control of your car when you are driving in these conditions.
- Don’t use cruise control when you are sleepy. Driving when you’re tired is not a good idea in the first place. But if you must drive on low sleep, you need to be as alert as possible. Cruise control tends to encourage “passive” driving, so turn it off when you start yawning.
- Don’t use cruise control for in-town driving, where there’s a lot of stopping and starting. It makes no sense to give yourself one more thing to keep track of when you’re switching lanes or slowing down for a yellow light.
When used appropriately, cruise control can make your drive easier and keep your speed consistent.
Exercising good judgment before pushing that cruise button should help you enjoy the convenience of cruise control guilt-free!